Welcome to the Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) Website
The Medicare HOS is the first patient-reported outcomes measure used in Medicare managed care. The goal of the Medicare HOS program is to gather valid and reliable clinically meaningful data that have many uses, such as targeting quality improvement activities and resources; monitoring health plan performance and rewarding top-performing health plans; helping beneficiaries make informed health care choices; and advancing the science of functional health outcomes measurement. Managed care plans with Medicare Advantage (MA) contracts must participate.
Each spring a random sample of Medicare beneficiaries is drawn and surveyed from each participating Medicare Advantage Organization (MAO) that has a minimum of 500 enrollees (i.e., a survey is administered to a different baseline cohort, or group, each year). Two years later, the baseline respondents are surveyed again (i.e., follow up measurement). Cohort 1 was surveyed in 1998 and was resurveyed in 2000. Cohort 2 was surveyed in 1999 and was resurveyed in 2001, and so on. During the most recent HOS administration (2019 Round 22), Cohort 22 was surveyed and Cohort 20 was resurveyed using HOS 3.0. For data collection years 1998-2006, the MAO sample size was one thousand. Effective 2007, the MAO sample size was increased to twelve hundred.
What's New on the Medicare HOS
- 2016-2018 Cohort 19 Analytic Public Use File (PUF) Available. The PUF may be downloaded from the Research Data Files section on the Data page. The Data Users Guide (DUG) may be downloaded from the Data Users Guides link on the Data page.
- 2020 Survey Administration Memos for HOS Survey Vendors and Medicare Advantage Organizations (MAOs). The memos containing the requirements for the 2020 HOS administration year have been posted under the Survey Administration section.
- NEW 2020 Medicare Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) Conditionally-Approved Survey Vendors List is Now Available. Final approval of the survey vendors is contingent upon participation in the HOS 2020 Survey Vendor Training (to be conducted in February 2020).
- 2016-2018 Cohort 19 Performance Measurement Data Distributed. The data and accompanying DUG are available to participating MAOs for download following the CMS announcement to Health Plan Management System (HPMS) users on October 25, 2019. The data are distributed via electronic Secure File Transfer and participating MAOs may request their data by contacting the Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email (hos@HCQIS.org). The designated data recipient will receive an email from the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox containing instructions and a link to the Secure File Manager facility. The DUG may also be downloaded from the Data Users Guides link on the Data page.
- Summer 2019 Semi-annual HOS Newsletter Available. This edition of the HOS Newsletter was released in September 2019. You may contact the HOS Information and Technical Support email (hos@HCQIS.org) to sign up for the email distribution.
- Cohort 21 Baseline PUF Available. The PUF may be downloaded from the Research Data Files section on the Data page. The corresponding DUG may be downloaded from the Data Users Guides section.
- 2018 HOS-Modified (HOS-M) Data Available. The HOS-M data and DUG were made available for plans to request following the HPMS announcement on July 19, 2019. Participating Program of All Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) organizations may obtain their data by contacting the Medicare HOS Information and Technical Support email (hos@HCQIS.org). The DUG may also be downloaded from the HOS-Modified page.
Helpful Links For information about the availability of auxiliary aids and services, please visit: http://www.medicare.gov/about-us/nondiscrimination/nondiscrimination-notice.html
This page was last modified on 12/19/2019
|Privacy | Contact Us | FAQs | Glossary | Program Partners|